Offered for the first time in nearly 100 years, Forestmere is a classic 660 acre preserve located just five miles north of Paul Smiths in the Town of Brighton. Mile-long Chain Lake is the centerpiece of this sportsman's/family retreat together with Clear Lake, Spring Pond, several small brook trout ponds and extensive frontage on the Osgood River. A fisherman's paradise offering trophy bass and pike. The main lodge with 8 bedrooms and 5 full baths was constructed in the early 1920's and overlooks Chain Lake to the south. Spacious living and dining rooms - each with a cut-stone fireplace lend an aura of Great Camp style. A three-slip boathouse affords storage for boats and fishing gear and an elevated screen pavilion overlooks Clear Lake. Additional buildings from the original camp circa 1890 provide storage and await re-use. Located 5 miles from Paul Smith's College and 15 miles from the Village of Saranac Lake and the Adirondack Regional Airport.
Forrest Hoffman Parker, a prominent businessman in New York City, purchased the 656-acre tract for $1,312 from Clarence A. McArthur in 1893. The beautiful tract had almost more water than land. Parker and his family used the camp he built until 1919, when he died. Two of his daughters had camps on the peninsula connecting the lakes. Forestmere was sold in 1923 to J. A. Fisher, a resident of Oil City, Pennsylvania. Fisher, an avid fisherman, was visiting Paul Smith's Hotel when he was told of a camp nearby for sale. He immediately bought the property and with his family enjoyed Todd Cottage or Main Camp built by the Parkers. Fisher built a more modern camp circa 1920. Forestmere is now owned by J. A. Fisher's grandson, Arter Fisher Hughes, and Arter's sister's heirs, and remains a private wilderness preserve.