A New Home Checklist for the Holidays
Settling into a New Home this Holiday Season?
Moving into a new home is one of the most exciting times in life. And, moving during the holiday season can make a wonderful season even more special. But how do you juggle settling into your new home while simultaneously preparing for the holidays? While you may have already unpacked (at least to some degree) try not to put extra pressure on yourself to have everything photo-ready by the big day. Just focus on what you need in order to get the home functioning and festive, especially if you have kids. You can always stash the other boxes out of the way until after the holidays!
New Home Holiday Checklist
Here's how you can get your new home and family in the holiday spirit:
- Decorate. Ideally, you were able to locate the boxes with decorations, but if not consider it a sign you're ready to start fresh with a new look. If you have kids, get them involved in the process by letting them pick where some of the decorations should go. It can help them feel more connected to the house. Local tip: check out Moody Tree Farm in Saranac Lake for a local tree!
- Maintain Your Traditions. Just because you're in a new place doesn't mean you should forgo your old traditions. In fact, whether it's making gingerbread houses or lighting the menorah, keeping those traditions can actually make the transition easier. That's not to say you shouldn't try out some new traditions too!
- Meet Your Neighbors (mindfully, this year) or Support a Local Food Bank. Even if you've already made introductions, delivering holiday cookies or other treats is a great way to spread some cheer and get to know them even better. Feeling a little mindful of social interactions? We get that. Perhaps donating to a local food bank or supporting a local animal shelter can help you get in the mood of giving and connecting to your new home and village.
- Send Holiday Cards. In addition to that beautiful family photo, you may want to consider a multitasking holiday card by including a moving announcement with your new address. Having the kids help with the addressing and stamps is a great way to reminisce and share memories of past years with family and friends.
- Relax Into Wherever You Are. Easier said than done, right? After you've done all of the above, it's time to celebrate your blessings in your wonderful new home. Sure, you may not be perfectly settled, but you're there and have much to look forward to in this new beginning!